Saturday, February 9, 2013

Holy Crap, Look at this Food I Made

This is already going to be a problem, because I didn't take a picture of it.  But I made homemade, gluten free Cheeseburger Macaroni "Hamburger Helper," and I think I can safely say that if you have made it this far, that you know what Hamburger Helper looks like. 

Why would one make their own Hamburger Helper?  Because sometimes I want to eat junky food, and I can no longer eat regular HH because of the MSG.  And I don't want to waste my little bit of self-allowed wheat intake on noodles that come with a migraine.  If you're interested, Annie's makes their own organic HH which has no MSG.  Go with that if you must.  But its on the expensive side. And also, wheat noodles.

What I Used:
1 3/4 c gluten free corn macaroni (Wegman's brand.)
1+ lb ground beef.
1 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
2 t seasoned salt.
1 t paprika
1 c shredded cheddar
1 c milk
2 c hot water.

What I Did:
Brown the ground until its done, or mostly done.  Its going to continue cooking, so perfection at this step is not necessary.  Drain off the grease. 

Stir in the garlic and onion powders, paprika, salt, and the macaroni.  Stir in the water and milk. 

Cover and simmer for 8 minutes.  DO NOT cook it any longer.  Regular pasta has some flexibility, but corn pasta will fall the hell apart if it is overcooked.

Remove from head and stir in the cheddar.  Adjust seasonings for individual taste.

Tastes just like regular HH just a little less salty.  I ate way too much and ended up with a rumbly tumbly.  Please consume in moderation.

No comments:

Post a Comment